Bee Stings and Insect Bites: First Aid

Date Published: 12/31/1994
Date Reviewed/Revised: 03/10/2017

Any insect or spider can cause problems if they bite or sting your pet. A bite or sting can cause swelling, redness, and itching. Some animals can have an allergic reaction to a sting or bite that may result in mild hives, facial swelling, vomiting, difficulty breathing or even collapse.

Photo of honeybee courtesy of Natalie Rowe

What to Do:

  • If the stinger can be found, scrape it out with a credit card or other stiff material. Alternatively, use tweezers by grasping the stinger, which is located below the venom sac. If the sting just happened, don't put pressure on the venom sac, as that would inject more of the venom into the pet.     
  • Apply cool compresses to the area.  
  • To help neutralize some of the acidic venom, apply a paste mixture of baking soda and water to the sting area. 
  • Your pet should be examined immediately by a veterinarian if there is facial swelling, breathing difficulty or collapse.

What NOT to Do:

  • Do not administer any medications without first contacting your veterinarian or a veterinary emergency hospital. The veterinarian may need to examine your pet before recommending medications.

The content of this site is owned by Veterinary Information Network (VIN®), and its reproduction and distribution may only be done with VIN®'s express permission.

The information contained here is for general purposes only and is not a substitute for advice from your veterinarian. Any reliance you place on such information is strictly at your own risk.

Links to non-VIN websites do not imply a recommendation or endorsement by VIN® of the views or content contained within those sites.

Top
SAID=27