Powered by Google

Sorry, something went wrong and the translator is not available.

Sorry, something went wrong with the translation request.

loading Translating

Poisoning in Dogs and Cats
Revised: April 01, 2020
Published: December 31, 1994

Poisoning is a condition that results from the ingestion, inhalation, absorption, injection, or application of a substance that causes structural damage or functional disturbance of body tissues. The poison can be a plant, a medication given in excess, a cleaning product, or other household chemicals.

What to Do

  • Call a veterinarian or a poison control center, and follow their instructions. If you do not have a local poison control center, you can call the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 or the Pet Poison Helpline at  (855) 764-7661 (a consultation fee may be applied to your credit card).

  • If the product is a petroleum product, cleaning solution, strong acid, or strong alkali, if the substance was ingested more than 3 hours ago, or if your pet is unconscious, not able to stand, or is having trouble breathing, you must get your pet to a veterinarian as soon as possible. 

  • If the pet vomits, save a sample of the vomitus for later inspection by the veterinarian. You can carry it in a ziplock bag.

  • Read about chemical injuries if a chemical has injured your pet.

What NOT to Do

  • Do not give any liquid: liquids may move the poison into the body sooner.


The content of this site is owned by Veterinary Information Network (VIN®), and its reproduction and distribution may only be done with VIN®'s express permission.

The information contained here is for general purposes only and is not a substitute for advice from your veterinarian. Any reliance you place on such information is strictly at your own risk.

Links to non-VIN websites do not imply a recommendation or endorsement by VIN® of the views or content contained within those sites.